Monday, September 5, 2011

Letters from 1991

In 1991, I was in art school, and one of the things that interested me was making comics for a living.  That summer I wrote letters to three folks in the comics industry whose work I admired - Dave Sim, creator of Cerebus; David Mazzucchelli, who'd illustrated Batman: Year One (among other things); and Chris Oliveros, who published a comics anthology called Drawn and Quarterly.  In my letters I asked for advice on self-publishing.  Much to my delight, all three responded.  I've scanned their replies on the off-chance that they're of historical interest to anyone.  (Some addresses have been grayed out.)



2 comments:

JustinPeniston said...

I don't know that I was fully aware that you did this. I certainly wasn't all the way there with pursuing comics yet at that point.

I love that you did this then, and I love that you posted it now.

Unknown said...

Justin - I mistakenly remembered the Mazzucchelli letter as being hand-written; I was thinking of the Oliveros letter.